Monday, January 18, 2010

Your Grace is Enough

Clearly, I have been neglecting my computer, and the journaling of my thoughts for all to see. It is partly due to a time factor for I have been disciplining myself to get up way before the kids to get my morning java, read, pray, organize my day and thoughts.....
We have finally penned down a morning chore system for the kids. We have always had morning chores, however, I get weary in telling them what I expect them to do every day. Especially when it doesn't change. So now, the chart does the talking, and I just point to the chart with a smile (well, most days). :) I love it. The kids have enjoyed the tangible list, and have rose to the occasion, and it has actually limited much complaining. You may think that a long list of things to do every day would discourage a little ones heart, but when the chores are age appropriate, and when they can see what they have done, they love it.
A dear friend of mine showed me her incentive and I quickly adopted it in our home.
She took two mason jars, one empty and one full of marbles (I use large wooden beads), as the morning chores and duties get completed properly, timely, with a happy heart and without complaining, each child gets to put one marble in the empty jar. If the child does not do it properly, or without being told, or with grumbling, they must remove a marble from the jar in which they are filling. When the jar is full, the whole family gets to pick something fun to go do together.
She even puts a fun bell that they get to "ding" when they put their marble in the jar. I am not quite that fun, but I do have fun pinwheels in the jar they are filling....
In addition, I am also disciplining myself to do school first thing without interruptions from the outside world.

The second reason I have been absent....well, I haven't been able to put into words what has been on my heart lately. The Lord has been opening my eyes, showing me a fresh measure of His abounding grace, and honestly, I have just been talking with Him instead.
I am seeing on a whole new level, how undeserving I am, how powerless I am, and how faithful and loving He is. How there is nothing I can do to earn His favor, rather to just respond to all that He has done, and is doing to draw me near, to increase my love for Him and those He loves, and that in myself there is no good thing. My service to Him is only to be from a heart of gratefulness for all He has done for me.
He is so very real to me right now, and it humbles me.

Lord, by Your grace, give me eyes to see, ears to hear, and a heart of faith and love to respond to You this day. That Your name may be well spoken of. Amen.

3 comments:

kim said...

This is absolutely beautifully said. Beautifully! I found your blog from another and have enjoyed reading. You are a great writer.

Katy said...

I love the jar idea! What a great way to encourage the kids to work together too! I'm so excited to be following your blog! Thank you for sharing! :)

Veronica said...

Such a sweet nugget of wisdom i will tuck into the pocket of my heart <3 I love the simplicity of it all!!! God's grace is enough! <3 ya- thank you for sharing :)